Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Becoming more structured

Since moving over to Github, I've been impressed with the way a project can be organised and managed.
Using these tools, I've scheduled up the next few releases [milestones] and attached functionality [issues] to each.
So as it stands, were going to the 0.7 release towards the end of the year. With just a handful of ui-bugs one planned new functional item (improve the doc list page), I think this should be achievable.

Friday, 11 November 2011

Improve the code quality

With more people using opendias it's getting more attention. Therefor I think it's time to clean up some of those really shonkey bits of code that I've wanted to get back to since - the beginning of time.
I've started using 'splint' but it looks to be a bit out of date and I'm thinking it's not the best use of time to work around these problems.
Moved onto using 'cppcheck' which feels a lot more solid.
Anyway, I've made a bunch of changes using these tools, which hopefully will make the codebase easier to maintain going forward.

Friday, 4 November 2011

Move of Project home.

We've move the main code store over to and will be moving other project services away from shortly.
This move it to improve the quality of the user experience while new and current users are getting information or help on openDIAS.

Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Revamped Tag selection

One of the areas that has been bugging me for some time is the way tags are used on documents. So I've changed the mechanism to use the tag-input jquery plugin. Much better.

Friday, 21 October 2011

Removed glib dependency

I've taken the plunge and replaced all the functionality that we were using from glib (hasing and date functions) with standard methods. Thankfully, it was not as much of a pain that I thought it would be, so the conversion went quicker than expected.

With the saved time, I've implemented one of the first 'project ideas' - the action required flag. This will be available in the next release.

Sunday, 2 October 2011

openDIAS API now available.

In preparation for the next release, I've tidied up the backend/frontend XML interface, and generated an API document.
Check it out at:

Saturday, 10 September 2011

Any Ideas?

Well, since the last release, there has been a number of ideas being fed back. To keep a track of these and get some idea on how useful they could be, I've started a 'Ideas submission and Voting' page on the Google Moderator site.
Feel free to add an idea or vote on ideas that you think would be useful for the openDIAS project.

Thursday, 12 May 2011

Let's Package this up.

I'm quite happy with the 0.6 release so far. Some minor issues have been
founhd and corrected. The big thing now is getting this application
properly packaged up and accepted by the big linux distro repositories.

So, a review of the build process, required libs, autoconf/build/etc,
has been done and better 'build from souce' instructions written,
including the list of dependency libs required and how to installed them
(using apt and yum). This should make addoption much easier.

Ohh, I've also taken this oppertunity to change over source control
of opendias to GTI. This is a big win, as I've been using git for some
time and converting/sending updates via the two systems is not something
I'd recommend. Anyway, everything is now on git and cvs has been retired,
whcih can only be a good thing.

All this has been released as version, and is available now

If anyone has any knowladge/experience of packaging source for .deb
and/or .rpm; experience of getting package sucessfuly accepted into the
big repositories; then do let me know, you help / input would be greatly

Saturday, 12 March 2011

Public release 0.6

The official 0.6 release has been uploaded to, and can be downloaded here.

Saturday, 8 January 2011

Out or bata testing

I feel comfortable enough with this as a product to send this out to my testing group.
Lets see what comes back. If you want to be part of this beta testing, do let me know.