Monday 25 May 2009

Regression Tests

As previously discussed, I've spent quite a bit of time going over all the code to determine if it's really needed and how it fits into the rest of the product. As you can imagine this was quite a bit of work. Therefor, to make this process easier for the next time (each time any development is done) I have created a regression test tool.

this tool does three things:
  1. Run several different user activities - repeatedly, and ensures the app behaves as expected.
  2. Check the memory usage (looks for memory leaks, invalid references, etc...) against each test.
  3. Performs a code coverage analysis across all the tests.
Therefor by running this we will be able to prove that all activities use all the code and do not leave any leaks, while maintaining required functionality.

I know this has put back the release of the re-factored code-base, but I think this is essential going forward in producing a stable and robust product.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Wayne,

    I'm going to quote some of what you said in a past message to me:

    > thanks for trying and feeding back, we can
    > only get better when people do so.

    I agree. So I am offering to help test the new version of OpenDIAS. Release early, release often.

    > I have a local CVS repo

    If you happened to give me access, I could happen to pull it and try it out. I don't expect a production-ready release.

    Anyway, that's my offer.

    Mitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a brand of scanner you are using for regression testing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this project still going on? Looked promisin.

    ReplyDelete